Re: Commercial Construction Standards

Regarding slab reinforcing, I have not been impressed with the performance of
wire mesh.  Depending on the soil conditions, and on the type of floor
covering to be used, I almost always recommend steel reinforcing bars.  My
standard rec is a 4 inch thick slab, with #4 at 18 inches oc, unless you have
an expansive soil condition and need more reinforcing.  This may be
conservative in many cases, but it reflects my experience with a lot of
cracked slabs that owners are angry about.

Steve Helfrich, P.E., G.E.