Re: point load vs. effective width

I have done a few jobs where I had column loads on a "retaining wall".  I ran
a small finite element run of this area for most jobs and have not found a
good correlation (rule of thumb) that I could use on later projects.

The height/thickness ratio is apparently a factor.  A tall-skinny wall
appeared to distribute laterally differently (proportionally) than a short-
thick wall.  The center 1' foot was obviously the most stressed area and in
most cases it appeared reasonable to use a total width that was not greater
than the height.  I think this correlates to the 30 degrees reccomended by
someone else on the list.

I also had a thickened wall area right at the column that affected the
distribution.

I cannot determine the width to use for your application, but I would adivise
against exceeding the magnitude of the wall height without doing some in-depth
investigation.