From: raranous(--nospam--at)pacbell.net [mailto:raranous(--nospam--at)pacbell.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 1998 8:11 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Commercial Construction Standards

Dennis,

I will limit my comments to the embeded columns in the store front because
it
has been too long since I did any design work.  I used to use this system in
URM
retrofits when there was a store front which needed to remain open.  At that
time (pre-Northridge) many contractors did not want to try and develop
moment
connections in the field because of the expense.  Consequently, I took the
approach you are taking and had good success.  (Some of these were in the
affected area of Northridge and performed as intended!)

Your grade beam will have to be fairly deep in order to provide the fixity
you
are looking for.  The advantage is that you will use smaller longitudinal
bars
which will make the contractor happy.  Watch your tie spacing and make sure
you
get some "U" shaped ties that surround the column and extend into the grade
beam.  Use a good development length on these ties as this is how the moment
is
trasfered to the grade beam with the column is moving towards the end of the
grade beam--in the other direction, bearing is how the moment is primarily
transfered.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Rick Ranous

Dennis Wish wrote:

> I am starting a commerical project this week. It's been a long time since
> have done anything but custom residential, cold-form and retrofit work.
This