Re:LRFD, ASD, and USD

I have been reading this thread for awhile and decided give some results from a senior project.

A co-worker who sits next to me (a lurker who refuses to make comments on this list) did a comparison of ASD and LRFD for a two story steel structure (gravity only) utilizing the same grade steel.  The results, usually just one beam size smaller in certain live load to dead load ratios.  Keep in mind that when live loads exceed a certain amount, deflection will govern and it doesn't matter which method is used.

Overall, I think that if 50ksi steel was used for ASD, your results will be similar to LRFD.  We just got to remember to compare apples to apples.

I'm not saying that LRFD is not the way to go.  I do believe that LRFD is very useful when using composite design.