Re: LRFD & ASD

I've heard that the best way to design steel using LRFD is to do a
preliminary
design solely based on serviceability requirements and then check your
members
for stress using LRFD requirements.  With ASD, stress usually governed
design
- with LRFD, stiffness usually governs design.  My biggest concern is that
codes do not adequately address serviceability limitations and I have not
seen
adequate design guidance on recommended limitations.  Thus I am more
comfortable with ASD knowing that it will generally provide adequate
stiffness.  Perhaps the steel industry should come out with more
recommendations for serviceability limitations for various types of
applications to make LRFD design a more accepted practice.