earthquake protection?

My name is Matthew Boone.  I am doing a research paper on Should we
design buildings to protect the building ot to protect the people."  I
would like to hear your views as professionals, and knoweledgable people
on the subject.  Also I would like any information and details that any
of you might have.  Thank you for all your help in advance.  I would
really like to hear what you have to say.

Matthew