Re: My personal Software "Wish" list / AISC EDI Standard

In a message dated 7/31/98 03:03:21 Eastern Daylight Time, szchang(--nospam--at)pacbell.net
writes:

> I wish that in a short period (3-10 years) we can unlock the real power in
> the
>  engineering softwares.  Software created these days is too fragmented.
Each
>  vender has his own system, database, and GUI interfaces.

I recently received a notice that AISC is looking to establish an "electronic
data interchange standard" for structural steel project information.  The
letter stated that "Such a standard would greatly ease the transfer of
information -such as project drawings, design calculations and connection
designs-between all members of the design and construction team, including
engineers, fabricators, detailers and erectors.  In addition to increasing
accuracy, it would reduce the cost involved with each project team reproducing
drawings.  Finally, and EDI standard will tighten project schedules and reduce
project time."  (AISC General Bulletin #2112, 7/13/98)

On one hand here is an effort to unlock the "real power" of digital
information.  On the other hand, it looks like more work will be expected in a
shorter time from the design team.  We may need to conform to more than one
EDI standard on a given project.  Most projects include structural materials
other than steel.  Many public agencies and private clients are requiring that
engineering and construction information be presented in electronic data
formats of their choice.

One piece of this puzzle may be in place soon.  The AISC initiative is on a
short timeline:  The EDI Review Team will submit a recommendation to the AISC
Board of Directors on 12/7/98.  With board approval the standard would be
announced in "early 1999."
Jan M. Harris, PE
Liberty Engineering, PC
Virginia Beach, VA