Re: AISC EDI Standard

>I recently received a notice that AISC is looking to establish an "electronic
>data interchange standard" for structural steel project information.
On the face of it, a great thing, but you could say the same thing about
IGES and ISO. Some people use them and some don't, as practicable and
convenient. I love the idea of one universal standard format that will
make data interchange seamless and transparent across political
boundaries, computer software and platforms, but US engineers have proved
hard to wean away from 'what's always worked.' I hear that even LRFD is
having a tough time being accepted, even though it's so good that a lot
of people really can't say how good it is (sorry...won't happen again ;->
).

Point is that economic clout is the only thing that makes these things
fly. .dwg files are the standard for CAD only because AutoCAD has so much
of the market. Same for Adobe PostScript. Used to be the case for .wks
files with spreadsheets before Lotus and Excel went head to head. The US
still uses inch standard pipes and rolled shapes and fasteners and cotter
pins, because the economic impact is too great to change. Remember our
flitation with the metric system during the Reagan years? The only change
left is whiskey by the liter, I suspect because a liter is less whiskey
than a fifth and sells for the same price. If the AISC standard can
convince bean counters (techno-bean counters, too) of an improvement in
next quarter's earnings, it'll be on like a flash. Otherwise it's going
to be a long uphill battle.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw