RE: Axial Tension in Masonry

More often than not, the residential and small commercial structures in South Georgia (and most of the US) are not designed by an engineer.  Go a little further south in Dade County Florida, and you will find well reinforced masonry walls.

You must reinforce the walls for uplift.  I generally also use a double height bond beam at the top in order to develop the anchorage and the top of the rebar.  I presume that you are doing a partial grouted wall.

Harold Sprague, PE
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.