Re: Axial Tension in Masonry

I reinforce the top rows of block as need to develop the needed dead load to
resist uplift.  I also hear the complaints from contractors.   As far as I
know, these should be reinforced as necessary to prevent the need for the
masonry to be in tension.

Most all of my work is in the southeast.  I do industrial, commercial and
residential.
The residential is worse than the commercial.  I routinely find basements made
of 8" hollow block.  There will be about 8' of unbalanced fill outside the
wall and hydrostatic pressure.  To my knowledge, some builders are still
building houses this way.