Stainless and Carbon steel

I have never dealt with stainless steel but seem to recall reading somewhere
that if carbon steel and stainless are attached it can cause problems.  On a
project of mine the Architect has some stainless under a glass block wall
(miscellaneous metals).  He was planning on having it welded to the
structural column.  What kind of problems can this cause?  What are some
references on the subject?  Can the same thing happen with aluminum and
carbon steel?  Am I all wet am this is not a problem after all?

Thanks

John Jones, EIT
Pell City, AL