RE: Stainless and Carbon steel

The problem is dissimilar metals in contact can set up a galvanic cell which is generally the basic ingredient for corrosion.  Stainless steel in contact with carbon steel is generally not much of a problem unless the environment is particularly aggressive.  Generally a seal weld completely around the perimeter is best to avoid potential problems.

You might want to reference "The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding" by Lincoln Electric.  There is another booklet that was prepared by PSI called "Corrosion and Failure".

Aluminum in contact with carbon steel is a big problem and is not advised.

Harold Sprague, PE
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.