Re: Stainless and Carbon steel

At 05:38 PM 8/3/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>I have never dealt with stainless steel but seem to recall reading somewhere
>that if carbon steel and stainless are attached it can cause problems.  On a
>project of mine the Architect has some stainless under a glass block wall
>(miscellaneous metals).  He was planning on having it welded to the
>structural column.  What kind of problems can this cause?  What are some
>references on the subject?  Can the same thing happen with aluminum and
>carbon steel?  Am I all wet am this is not a problem after all?
>
>Thanks
>
>John Jones, EIT
>Pell City, AL

Ferrari, the motor car company, welds aluminum to steel, but they use a
special metal alloy separator sheet to do it.  Otherwise, keep them
separated with bituminous paint, insulating washers, etc.  Also, check on
the stainless to see if it is magnetic or non-magnetic, as I remember this
has an effect on the corrosion potential.

Patrick Rodgers