RE: Steel `Rust protection/fire protection -Reply

Title: RE: Steel `Rust protection/fire protection -Reply

In our spec we allow two shop coats of High-Ratio Water Based Zinc Silicate paint to be substituted in lieu of hot-dip galvanizing.  Proper surface preparation and application is critical or else it will not work.  If done correctly it works very well.  If you are skeptical about the contractor doing it properly do not use it.  we have the following manufacturers listed: Inorganic Coatings IC 531; Valspar 13-R-53; Ameron Dimetcote 21-7