RE: Thoughts

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Horning, Dick/CVO wrote:

> > Our client gave us a letter that was sent to them from a concerned
> > citizen.  He felt that rather than constructing new prison buildings,
> > we should add a floor to the top of existing buildings, since they can
> > carry 'tons of snow.'  Our client wanted us to write a response to the
> > letter. Any thoughts? BTW the writer instisted 'I am not a nut. I have
> > written letters to General Collin Powell and received 5 letters back.'

Uhm, I'm picking up this thread kind of second hand, and may be missing
something, but if the present first story roof is designed for a large
snow load, wouldn't the NEW, proposed second story roof require the SAME
design snow load? In which case your foundations are going to be most
likely overloaded by the new second floor live and dead loads, even IF
the required second floor live loads are satisfied by the existing roof
snow load.
l8r,
Bob
Bob Shilling, SE             Berkeley, CA          shilling(--nospam--at)emf.net