Re: Steel `Rust protection/fire protection

Alex C. Nacionales wrote:

> I need  recommendations the best rust protection of structural steel. Also
> fire protection. Galvanizing is out because it is not  available locally.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> ALEX C. NACIONALES, C.E.

Another acceptable method of protecting exposed steel is metallizing.
The process consists of a thermal spraying of coating.  Thermal spraying
includes flame spraying, electric arc spraying, and plasma spraying.
The material used for spraying should be made especially for that
purpose.  Zinc used for spraying should have a minimum purtiy of 99.9%.
Any commercial type of "dry" blasting equipment may be used to clean and
roughen the surface.  For more information on metallizing, refer to ASCE
Manual 72, "Design of Steel Transmission Pole Structures."

Brian Reese, P.E.
Summit Manufacturing