Re: modeling of 3d-frame with shearwall

> This leads to the following questions :
>
> 1. What is an acceptable level of mesh refinement?
>
> 2. If the mesh size is going to be unmanageable, is it advisable to use
>    plate elements at all?
>

> Rudra Nevatia
> Central Computing Facility

I start with a coarse mesh to get initial results, and then use finer
meshes until successive model results show an acceptable level of
convergence. Finite element analysis is not exact, so some trial and
error of this sort is needed to ensure that the results are
consistent.

I am not sure what you mean by "unmanageable." If it takes more
memory or computer time than you have available, then you are stuck.
If you think it will be too difficult to construct, be sure you are
familiar with the automatic meshing features in your software.

William Kirkham
KPFF Consulting Engineers
111 SW 5th Ave., Suite 2500
Portland, OR 97204-3628