Re: modeling of 3d-frame with shearwall

>I concur with this advice.  If you can do color coded stress contours of
>plate
>elements on your computer screen, look at them to see if they look realistic
>and if stress contours are smooth.
This is about 1/3 the job. If you're not sure if the mesh is fine enough,
refine it some and re-run the problem. If the results don't change much,
you're probably OK. (Unless it was hopelessly wretched to begin
with--I've seen these, but only with rank amateurs) As I recollect, this
question originated around a question about attaching a shear panel to th
surrounding framework. You won't go too far wrong if your mesh size
conforms roughly to code guidelines for connection points, since you're
trying to replicate the shear transfer through the screws or whatever is
used to secure the panel to the stiffeners. Make sure when you're done
you can account for all the force carried by the panel, about the way you
figure th shear loads carried by a flange stitch welded to the web of a
fabricated beam. Also try to keep the plate element less than 3-4 times
as long as they are wide.
Finally, don't trust the stress plots for anything besides scenic value.
The stress contours are averages of nodal stresses which may not be
accurate in areas of high stress gradient.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw