Re: RE: Shearwall Openings

Thank you for the response.  I won't get a hold of the engineer until later
today.  Nevertheless, from the pictures he showed me and gen. info provided,
the wall is approx. 15 feet high by 30 feet long.  The opening occurs at the
middle top of the wall.  It is approx. 14" wide x 22" long (verti.).  Although
the overall opening seems small, the location of the opening concerned him.  No
studs were damaged.  The building dept. wants him to submit calcs & sketch for
the fix.

>>> "Dennis S. Wish PE" <wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com> 08/06/98 07:33PM >>>
Can you provide more information. It would be useful to know the width and
height of the wall, the type of sheathing, nailing and capacity. Next
provide the size of the opening made in the wall and the location relative
to the lower left corner of the wall.
If the opening is, say, 16"x 16" and located in the center of the wall (both
height and width), then I would say you have very little to worry about.
This is because the location of the cutout occurs where the shear approaches
0. Create a shear diagragm of the wall and try to repair the chords at the
vertical studs as well as block the horizontal studs cut for the mechanical
insertion (good idea anyway if the wall was bearing).
Obviously the taller the cutout becomes, the more likely it is for you to
consider the panel as two shear walls and analyze each side based upon an
effective height reduced by the plywood panel above and below the opening.
This would also help your wall meet the H/b requirements established by
code.
If you can be more specific, we might offer you some more exacting
solutions.
Dennis S. Wish PE