Re: gang nail wood truss design

Michael,

I have not had any problems with SPF on commercial projects, however, that is
because when manufactured wood trusses are used we always use a reduced value.
In regards to speifying the specific gravity, I always try to not specify
items that I know the contractor will probably not follow or understand.  I
would stick with requiring Doug Fir for all framing or using the reduced
loads.  If you need more capacity give the contractor the option upgrading the
plywood and or the nailing.  The work by WTCA to monitor the specific gravity
is great, but until it is accepted by the code and building official I would
not rely on it for my designs.

Hope this helps.

Brian