Depositions

I have been subpoenaed ,by the defendant,in a civil case as a precipient
witness (not an expert) in a lawsuit of an individual (plaintiff) vs an
insurance company (defendant).I assume our testimony will be in regard to a
structural report we wrote for the plaintiff regarding their residence.My
questions ,to those with similar experience,are:
1) What is the distinction in our testimony as a precipient witness vs as an
expert?
2) A $45 check was included with the subpoena as a statutory fee.This hardly
covers the cost of parking & travel.Can we demand additional compensation?

Thank you beforehand,
Sincerely , R Arevalo