RE: Terracotta Behaviour

Be careful with this one. There is a difference between structural and
non-structural clay tile. If the wall thickness is greater than 1/4" you
probably are dealing with a structural tile. If less, the Terracotta was
never intended to be a structural element.
In any case, where I have had to deal with a structural Terracotta, I had to
perform shear and tension tests on the walls to determine the allowable
strengths used for retrofit anchors. If the cavities are hollow (and most
are), I took a terrific hit.
In my case it was a 6" wall - one story in Venice area. There are not too
many of these in Los Angeles. I had MEC labs from Glendale do the testing
with a Covert Anchor system.
One other thing to be on the lookout for. In some of the buildings I have
seen, the interior surface is furred out with stud framing. The studs were
actually load bearing from the roof and the Terracotta was a veneer.
This type of structure does not have to comply to California State URM
requirments, but may still pose a threat to passer-bys. Discuss it with your
building official to determine your retrofit plan.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Dennis Wish PE