Re: Depositions

Bob,

I think that your input as both an engineer *and* a lawyer would be very
valuable to anyone who is about to testify as an expert witness.

I, too, replied privately to the post based upon my experiences over the past
thirty some odd years.  I remember my first experience testifying.  Although
I told my client's attorney that I had never testified before and requested
advice, he was inexperienced in utilizing an expert witness.  At trial,
whenever my client's attorney asked my opinion on something, the opposing
counsel objected based on "insufficient background."  Trying to justify my
opinion based on *all* the technical knowledge that I had got nowhere,
causing me frustration to no end, until one question was asked.  That
question got the (now) expected objection, however, the opinion that was
sought was based on my "knowledge, experience and registration as a
professional engineer."  When I answered thusly, no objection was raised and
I quickly realized that the "background" was not the technical background on
which I came to my conclusions, but my professional background qualifying me
to testify as to my "opinion," something that we engineers consider as
"facts," but which the legal system views as "opinions."  Needless to say,
when further objections were raised based on "insufficient background" I
repeated the qualifying statement and was able to get my testimony in.
Although I have never met the opposing attorney again, either socially or in
court, I continually thank him for adding significantly to my education as
an expert.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Bob McGhie wrote:

. > I replied privately to the poster but would be willing to post a
. > general reply to this list if there is enough interest.
. >
. > Robert McGhie, Esq.
. >