RE: HP sections and pile caps

Re: "The Steel Pile - Pile Cap Connection", 1982, by The American Iron and Steel Institute.  After reading this and reviewing the Lehigh research behind it, you will be much less inclined to require cap plates.  The concrete is basically confined, and you can achieve ultimate bearing stresses of 10 f'c.  This is a departure from the ACI 318-95, Section 10.17.  Which only cites one reference from London dated 1968.

Obviously not a highly funded research area.

Harold Sprague, PE
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.