RE: Masonry Design

Harold,

I have the 5th edition of Amrhein's handbook.  The corresponding section
is 2-3.E:  Thanks for pointing it out.  I find it helpful:

"When the compressive strength of the masonry assemblage, f'm, is
specified, the component materials, grout and masonry units must be
stronger that the specified strength.    ...   It is recommended that
... the strength of the masonry unit and grout be 25 to 40 percent more
than the specified strength.   ...  When specifying ... specify a
minimum strength only, not a range of strengths.  This minimum strength
would be the average of three units tested with the strength of no
single being less than 20% below ..."

It seems that this 25 to 40% factor is written into the code's table.
If you enter the table with 1900 psi as the minimum average strength (of
three units) reading 1500 psi as the net compressive strength of the
masonry (f'm), you have a minimum average block strength 27% greater
than f'm.

Alternately, if I enter the table with 2800 psi units, I'll read 2000
psi as the net compressive strength of the masonry (f'm).  Hence for
higher strength units the factor has increased to 40%.  Obviously if I
want to maintain the minimum average strength 40 percent greater than
f'm for the lower strength block (ASTM C90 minimum) as well, I could
reduce f'm from 1500 psi to 1360 psi for 1900 psi block units.

ASTM C 90 allows a single unit to test at 1700 psi.  This of course is
11% under the minimum average strength of 1900 psi and within Amrhein's
recommended 20%.

Thanks,
Ed Marshall, P.E.