FW: Masonry Design

For anyone interested, I have received the following comment regarding
my question on masonry design from Dr. James Colville.  I understand
that he is the committee chair for ACI530 and a prof at U of Maryland
(Thanks to John Jones for the suggestion to contact Dr. Colville):

Ed Marshall
*************************************

I have received your question. As an aside, Dr. Brown is at Clemson
University not Ga. Tech, though he is currently on sabbattical leave and
is
in Australia.

Though I cannot give an "official" answer to your question, it is my
opinion
that you would use the average value of the unit strength in using the
unit
strength table in the Specifications. This table tends to give
conservative
results anyway in comparison to prism testing, and since prism testing
is
based on tests of 3 units, I am sure that this is what can also be used
in
the unit strength approach, that is, the average value from 3 specimens.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Sincerely,
Jim Colville

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't know the answer to your question but there is a professor at
Georgia
Tech who is on ACI530.  I believe his name is Russell Brown.  When ACI's
travelling road and pony show came to Birmingham this topic was touched
on
by Dr. Brown but I don't remember what was decided.

He could probably answer the question and if he doesn't all you have to
do
is drive across town and bug him at his office until he does.  :-y

John Jones