Performance-Based Seismic Design, Potent

The only truly "performance based" design that I am aware of is that
practiced by the aircraft industry in which an analytical analysis and design
is made and a prototype built and tested to destruction.  If the tests do not
produce the desired results, the design is modified, another prototype built
and tested, etc., until the desired results are obtained.

As I understand the proposed, "performance based design" concept, it will be
up to the owner to determine the degree of protection/capacity that is to be
incorporated into his/her design.  While I believe that a man's (or woman's)
home is his/her castle, I cannot accept that an owner can determine the
strength of his/her home should be, unless, the owner agrees that no one
other than adult, competent members of the owner's family be permitted to
enter the house and that the owner agrees to tear down the house when he/she
moves out.

Building codes have progressed based on what hasn't worked.  To go to a
"performance based design" scheme would be to regress 100 years, throwing out
all that has been learned in the past.

If an owner is permitted to set his/her own design criteria, what need is
there for building departments?  Every plan could be designed to a different
criteria.

Some buzz words sound good, but never really say what they mean.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona