Re: Performance-Based Seismic Design, Potent

Thank you, Roger,

You put my concerns into words.

My work is nearly 100% industrial.  I am grateful for codes.  Often, people
in the field (plant, mill, whatever) look at a structure and state with
confidence, "That structure is 50% overdesigned".

My answer is, "It may be, but the code won't permit me to design for less".
 And I show him why.  If the owner dictated design critera (and he would
like to), he would call me back when the structure failed after plant
maintenance personnel cut out all the bracing.

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561

> From: Roger Turk <73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org