Re: Performance-Based Seismic Design, Potential for Increased Professional Liability

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998 FEMCCLURE(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> How can engineers assure their clients - owners, insurance companies, lending
> agencies, etc.- that their buildings will not be damaged beyond a certain
> degree of damage when the "design" or "evaluation" earthquake has a
> probablility of exceedance and is basically "open ended?"?

Yeah, I've been wondering about that too. Good report Frank. Even when we
use terms like "Maximum probable...", there's still that nasty old
*probable* word.

Maybe the answer to your question is to instument the building. Then, if
there is damage after an event, just read the results, and see if your
design event was exceeded. Gets complicated doesn't it?
l8r,
Bob
Bob Shilling, SE             Berkeley, CA          shilling(--nospam--at)emf.net