RE: HP sections and pile caps

AISI is at http://www.steel.org/index.html.  The research was done at Lehigh University's Fritz Engr Lab.  The report was prepared by GAI Consultants, Inc., Monroeville, Pennsylvania.  "The Steel Pile - Pile Cap Connection" is the document you need.  It is available for loan at technical libraries such as Linda Hall in Kansas City, MO.

It becomes much clearer with the AISI document.  If added reinforcement is required, the recommendation is to add hoops of rebar at the bearing areas to augment confinement.

ACI 318 sect 10.17 limits bearing strength to phi *0.85*f'c  (phi = 0.70 for bearing) .  Depending on the ratio of supported area to bearing area, you can increase the bearing strength to a maximum of 2.  This will result in a very small maximum bearing strength, and is generally ignored in the design of pile caps and anchor bolt anchorage.

Most engineers use no cap plates on H piles.  The only exception is uplift.

Harold Sprague, PE
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.