RE: UBC1994vsASCE 7-95

All of the "building codes" including the UBC are based on the ASCE 7.  The ASCE 7-95 was too new with too many differences from the ASCE 7-93 to be quickly incorporated into the UBC.  The UBC 88 is not much different from the UBC 94 in regard to wind.  In regard to seismic, the UBC 94 is different from the UBC 88, and the UBC 97 is markedly different than the UBC 88.

The changes in the wind provisions were overdue and driven by a need to switch to a 3 second gust base wind for historic statistical reasons, and a need to incorporate lessons that recent hurricanes in the Southwest taught us.

Officially, most municipalities in the western US are using the 94 UBC or the 97 UBC.  The eastern and central US uses BOCA or Standard which references the ASCE 7 for wind loads.

Live on the edge and get the 94 & 97 UBC.

Harold Sprague, PE
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.