Re: Performance-Based Seismic Design, Potent

Performance based seismic engineering can be practiced with the owner
selecting the desired level of performance.  However, minimum performance
must be life safety, with "current building code" as the appropriate
benchmark.  This is, in fact, the current practice.  It has always been
the prerogative of the owner to exceed code requirements.

Russ Nester
rnester(--nospam--at)juno.com

>As I understand the proposed, "performance based design" concept, it
>will be
>up to the owner to determine the degree of protection/capacity that is
>to be
>incorporated into his/her design.  While I believe that a man's (or
>woman's)
>home is his/her castle, I cannot accept that an owner can determine
>the
>strength of his/her home should be, unless, the owner agrees that no
>one
>other than adult, competent members of the owner's family be permitted
>enter the house and that the owner agrees to tear down the house when
>he/she
>moves out.
>
>Building codes have progressed based on what hasn't worked.  To go to
>"performance based design" scheme would be to regress 100 years,
>throwing out
>all that has been learned in the past.
>
>If an owner is permitted to set his/her own design criteria, what need
>is
>there for building departments?  Every plan could be designed to a
>different
>criteria.
>
>Some buzz words sound good, but never really say what they mean.
>
>A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
>Tucson, Arizona

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]