RE: Design Properties for Western Red Cedar

The information I have is based on the publication by:

Westsern Red Cedar Lumber Association
(604) 684-0266 (Vancouver Canada)
(425) 316-8845 (Mill Creek, Washington)
Web:  www/wrcla.rog

(Values in psi) I converted from Metric (MPa  avlues divided by 145.03)

Catogory:
Posts & Timbers
Grade:
Select Structural       No. 1           No.2
Bending @ extreme fiber:                                      1,740
1,305            566
Shear:
116                                87              87
Compression Parallel to Grain:                             1,088
972            595
Compression Perped. to Grain:                               580
580             580
Tension parallel to Grain:                                       1,015
769            363
Modulus of E:  (E)                                           1,160,240
1,015,210      870,180
                          (E05) for comp members         797,665
725,150        580,120

I Hope it helps.

Kasey Hemmatyar, P. Eng. (structural)
Vancouver, B.C.

At 10:03 AM 8/14/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Western Red Cedar (dry)   E = 1110 ksi  w = 24.0 pcf @ 20% m.c. and 20 pcf
@ 0% m.c.  (interpolate)
>G varies dependent upon which plane.  Glr/E=.064      Glt/E=.061
Grt/e=.003 for Sitka spruce