RE: RE: Special Moment-Resisting Truss Frames

The encumbrances were more with the concept of a "seismic-fuse", and before 1997 there were no provisions like 2213.11.  What was intended with the truss frames I was familiar with was to allow ductility to occur in the end connections.  The gravity connections were predicated on the amplified plastic moment of the connections plus full gravity loads. The trusses spanned in excess of 100 ft which is a violation of UBC 1997 sect 2213.11.

The pre 1988 UBC was a lot more dependant on the engineer understanding the intended performance of a structural system in a seismic event.  But this is unfortunately difficult to administer.  And as EQ damage reports indicate, some engineers did not understand how to design for intended performance.  It is much easier to design and administer prescriptive code requirements.

I have designed industrial structures in many foreign countries where specific code compliance was ambiguous.  But with some prompting, the owner could tell you what he intended regarding performance.

I guess I am of the opinion that I would like to have the latitude of performance driven codes.  Some of our most important structures are driven by performance requirements.  Various aspects of nuclear structural design, petro-chemical plant designs, dams, hazard material containment structures, etc. are designed based on performance.   A liquefied natural gas impoundment structure is required to not leak following an earthquake.  Granted, some manufacturers take liberties with performance specs.  But in that case, let's talk about peer reviews as opposed to prescriptive codes.  It can be observed by the examples cited that life safety and collapse prevention are well short of intended performance.

There is some research being conducted on seismic fuse / semi rigid connections, but I do not think that it is in a truss application.

Harold Sprague, PE
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.