Lateral analysis and conventional framing provisions

I was asked my opinion if in single family construction you could use the
provisions for conventional framing to evaluate the lateral  force resisting
system in one direction and engineer the lateral force resisting system in the
other direction.  My response was that if a structure requires engineering for
the lateral force resisting system both directions should be analyzed and
designed.  This came from a Zone 4 area, however, I feel that whatever logic
is used to resolve this question it would apply in all cases especially since
wind governs in a great many cases anyway.

I would appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Mel Slaysman