Re: Concrete Hip Roofs

>Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 12:14:08 -1000
>From: "Baldridge & Associates Structural Engineering, Inc."
> <base.engr(--nospam--at)internetMCI.com>
>Subject: Re: Concrete Hip Roofs
>To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
>
>Does anyone know of a (relatively) simple way to build an
>architecturally appealing (4:12 slopes, hips valleys etc) out of
>concrete.  We can't use steel beams or decks, precast is possible but
>would be difficult at the hips and valley, cast in place would work but
>would be expensive to form.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks

Take the next flight to Spain and see how they do it beautifully. They
use precast joists (similar to the prestressed keystone joists here),
with brick (clay) left-in-place formwork. You can use wood for formwork
too.

In Cuba (the Republic) and Venezuela I saw different systems. The cuban
one was to form with plywood.  The one in Venezuela is similar to the
one in Spain but the joist is cast in place and the soffit comes
prestressed with a steel "truss" for reinforcing and top steel and
structural capacity prior to pour. You have to see it!

Good luck.