Re: RE: Use of WOOD: Single Family Housing Design

"Jose Diez" <josediezpe(--nospam--at)hotmail.com wrote:

> I fully support you position and your point of view, as I once several
> year ago, designed residences. However I am in favor of prohibiting the
> use of wood as a construction material for other than formwork.

Oh Dear!!

>From New Zealand the land of extensive forests, including those of radiata
pine specifically planted for construction use onshore and exported.  Where
earthquakes early this century showed the differential in earthquake damage
between wood and masonry buildings.  Where a whole industry has developed
light timber framing technology for building use.  Where light timber
framing codes are used for non-engineer application to residential buildings
without the apparent extent of the problems that give Dennis concerns.
Where buildings to 4 storeys can be constructed in engineered timber for
California like levels of seismicity!

" --- prohibiting the use of wood ----" indeed!!

"Wood" residential buildings to non specific design codes in New Zealand
have an expected damage ratio of about 8% in MMI IX earthquake ground
shaking.  (As for PML studies on insurance exposures.) This is apparently
better than US data indicates by a factor of 3 plus?

Something's amiss here?

Cheers,  Bruce S

Bruce Shephard, Principal Consultant Seismic Risk
Opus International Consultants, New Zealand
DD Telephone +64 4 4717597,  Fax +64 4 4711397
Email bruce.shephard(--nospam--at)opus.co.nz