Re: Use of WOOD: Single Family Housing Design

Brian-
I observed structural damage to many single and two story wood framed residences
after the Northridge earthquake.  Families were forces to camp out on their front
lawns because their homes were not safe to enter.  The constant after shocks for
many weeks kept people in fear of entering their homes for even a few minutes.
And yes, I even remember seeing a front porche that completely collapsed.  I
think I have a photo of it in my files.  Maybe I can post it to the list.
The Northridge earthquake occurred at about 4:00 a.m.  This saved many lives.
Had it occurred a 6:00 p.m., there would have been many more injuries and deaths
to people in the single story wood framed buildings.

You are wrong about conventional framed wood structures.  They are obviously not
as big of a problem as some other kinds of structures, but they too can pose a
life safety threat to occupants during an earthquake.

Lynn