Re: RE: Use of WOOD: Single Family Housing Design

Tue, 18 Aug 1998 09:13:10 -0700, "T" <vicpeng(--nospam--at)vtcg.com>,
Subject: Re: RE: Use of WOOD: Single Family Housing Design
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>, wrote:

> Bruce
>
> I still refer to the NZS 3604 for check against the designs for "Light
>  Timber Framed Structures" here in Canada.  I often bring it up in
>  conversation with local engineers as an excellent tool for the "layperson
> 's" guide to good standard design for residential structures.  It's my
>  "paint by numbers" equivalent.  Even here in Canada the principles are
>  valid and I have had good results in comparing with the design parameters
>  at a local level.
>
> Thor Tandy P.Eng

Thor

The good news is that BRANZ continues the research and testing,  and the
industry does its share also and publishes good "design" data as tables,
recommended construction forms and specifications.  All are subject to
"means of compliance" certification.  The performance based criteria have
opened up many more alternatives.  Local Authority inspection also appears
to be knowledgeable and good.

Cheers,  Bruce S

Bruce Shephard, Principal Consultant Seismic Risk
Opus International Consultants, New Zealand
DD Telephone +64 4 4717597,  Fax +64 4 4711397
Email bruce.shephard(--nospam--at)opus.co.nz