RE: Special Inspection.

Write or phone ICBO.  Special Inspection is divided into several categories: structural steel, concrete, masonry, etc.  All that is required is to pay the fee and pass the exam.  I would strongly advise taking the course that is offered in many cities and precedes the exam.  I don't believe that any experience is required, but it certainly helps.

The cost varies for the course, but for structural steel it is about $210 for ICBO members.  I believe the cost of the exam is included.

Harold Sprague, PE
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.