Re: Concrete Hip Roofs

wrote:

>> Does anyone know of a (relatively) simple way to build an
>> architecturally appealing (4:12 slopes, hips valleys etc) out of
>> concrete.  We can't use steel beams or decks, precast is possible but
>> would be difficult at the hips and valley, cast in place would work but
>> would be expensive to form.
>
>Please re-read your message. You've essentially eliminated both precast
>and cast-in-place concrete. That's all there is. Shotcrete is essentially
>another form of cast-in-place but might be easier to form. Have you
>looked at that?
>
>.    .    .   .   .  .  .  .  . . . . . ...........................
>Bob Shilling, SE             Berkeley, CA          shilling(--nospam--at)emf.net

About two years ago there was an interesting article in Aberdeen's Concrete
Construction.  Apparently a Southeast Florida contractor(s) had built the
ultimate home for Hurricane Andrew (catagory 5) style events.  This was a
cast-in-place concrete home, complete with reinforced concrete roof; a clay
tile pattern was <GASP> textured on top.  The convincing photo-op included
the standard pick-up truck hoisted onto and resting on the roof.  Shades of
Dade-Broward!

The as-built cost was estimated at $175,000 for a 4 bedroom Miami Advice
type home.  If anyone has further info, please let me know.  That was an
issue I should have saved <DADGUM>.

Fred Niemczenia, P.E.(ST)      B-)
Keystone Heights, FL