RE: Single Family Housing Design

This is an entirely different animal. The main problem with modular housing
is the lack of consistant control. As Roger Turk pointed out, the weakness
is at the tansport framework. I found the other major problem to be the lack
of enforcible standards for adequate foundations.

Roger noted the wall construction with 1x3 framing, however, the program I
saw recently (a Bob Villa program) indicated that typical wall construction
was 2x4 studs at 24" o/c. In this case, modular homes are very
"conventional". They are intended to be transportable conventional homes in
20 foot widths (I think the modularity is 20x40 and 20x60).

I understand that there are a few organizations started over the last few
years that are really cleaning up the modular industry - especially since
the number of lives lost in damage from tornados and earthquakes. There is
one company in my area that specializes in seismic retrofit of modular
homes - something that I won't even attempt.

I'd be interested in other comments. Typically, I have turned down work on
modular units because of their unique or proprietary foundation systems
(other than continuous block walls).

Dennis Wish PE