Re: Use of WOOD: Single Family Housing Design

Dennis,

You are right that wind controls.  However, I can say that the engineering is
unecessary because of my experience looking at homes that have performed for
years.  These homes have were not engineered.  The building departments in our
region have required truss clips and other hardware for years.  This combined
with proper standard shear transfer details is more than adequtae for a simple
one story wood framed home.  The wind loads reaquired by our building
departments are 80 and 85 mph, exposure C, everywhere in the valley.  Even if
you meet the code requirements for exposure B they will not let you use it
unless you do an aerial survey of the region.  So, we have to design
sturctures for higher loads than should be required.  I am no advocating this
for custom homes and multi-level homes, these should have involved with the
project.  I think that sometimes, engineers, have an over blown opinion of
there importance.  I do feel we are important in this process, however, we
need to keep ourselves grounded and sometimes accept that what works and has
performed in the past should be acceptable.  You may not agree with this, but
it is what I believe.

Thanks,

Brian