Re: Use of WOOD: Single Family Housing D

Brian,

IMO, there are three reasons why structures do not fail, the first of which
is the least likely.

1. The structure was properly designed *and* constructed.

2. The structure has never been subjected to the loads for which it was
supposed to have been designed.

3. The inherent ability for material to redistribute loads and forces.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Brian wrote:

. > However, I can say that the engineering is unecessary because of my
. > experience looking at homes that have performed for years. These homes
. > have were not engineered.
. >