Re: Use of WOOD: Single Family Housing Design

Dennis and Brian:

In the Sacramento area, we design some towers for 100 mph winds.  We
usually do not hear about wind damage as much as seismic damage here in the
West, but according to a diaster official, wind damage has become more
prevalent in the last few years.  Within the last two years, we've had
tornado warnings within five miles of my office.  I missed seeing a roof
lift off a structure because my back was turned at the time in Oroville in
1962.  And I can remember a lot of big trees down in Sacramento in 1937 and
I can remember in the last few years of reported 115 mph winds in the Tahoe
area.  A communication tower went down at Mt. Diablo a few years ago, I
believe 115 mph; 105 mph on the Bay.

So the winds do blow.

Neil Moore, S.E.

At 10:26 PM 8/20/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Dennis,
>
>You are right that wind controls.  However, I can say that the engineering is
>unecessary because of my experience looking at homes that have performed for
>years.  These homes have were not engineered.  The building departments in
our
>region have required truss clips and other hardware for years.

 The wind loads reaquired by our building