Re: Steel Moment Frame Connections

On 5/21 Kevin Devaney wrote:

> I am looking for input on preferred beam/column connections. I would
> appreciate any info including the status of the "proprietary" side plate
> connection in FEMA 267.

Currently - there are four connections that are commonly being used
on projects - the Reduced Beam Section (dogbone), Cover Plated,
Slotted Web, and Sideplate.  The first two are public domain and
instructions for designing them may be found in FEMA-267 and
FEMA-267a.  The second two are proprietary.  For information on the
slotted web connection contact the Allen Company, in Los Angeles.
For information on sideplate, contact Sideplate, also located in Los
Angeles.

If you would like information on the various types of connections
that have been tested and the results of these tests, the SAC joint
venture maintains an on-line database accessible through the internet
at the SAC Home Page.
Ronald O. Hamburger
Project Director for Product Development
SAC Joint Venture