Re: Anchors in Masonry Walls

<<
 I have a question regarding section 2106.2.14.1 of the '94 UBC.

 "All bolts shall be grouted in place with at least 1 inch of grout between
the bolt and the masonry,..."

 Does this mean between the bolt and masonry within the cell and/or between
the bolt and face shell of the masonry (where the bolt passes through the
masonry)?

 Please explain?

When you place the bolt through the hole in the concrete block, you are to
maintain 1 inch clear minimum between the bolt shank and the masonry face
shell.  Example for a 1" inch round bolt the hole would have to be 3 inches
round in the block wall.  See page 178 in the Reinforced Masonry Engineering
Handbook by Amrhein.  I doubt though that these larger hole requirements are
ever inforced.

Michael Cochran