Re: Use of WOOD: Single Family Housing Design

I'd like to add my $.02 worth on this thread.  I think that both sides of the
issue are making valid points.  I guess I am one of those idealists that would
like to see and individual be able to design their own home.  In order for that
to happen, we need good conventional provisions.  We also need architects and
"designers" who do not take advantage of the situation to look good to their
clients.

A home that is "unusual" needs, and I guess must, have the involvement of an
engineer.  I don't say that to begrudge those who specialize in residential
design.  I say that from the standpoint that the owner needs the assistance to
have what he/she wants, and know that it is safe.  We now get into that
definition of what constitutes "unusal."  For as many people who will respond to
that question, that is how many definitions there are to "unusual."

When I was chair of the SEAOC Code Committee we took on the task to provide a
definition to this term.  That definition, developed by a task force comprised
of engineers, architects and building officials, was put forward by the task
force.  It is the definition which appears in the '94 and '97 UBC.  For a number
of reasons SEAOC was unable to take a position on that definition.  I can tell
you that the majority of the committee supported the work of the task force and
supported the definition.  However, we were unable to go before ICBO and say
that we supported it.

We have engineers who regularly practice structural design of residential
structures.  We need to listen to what they are saying and use that information
to improve conventional construction procedures.  Now that the ICC has decided
to take over the One and Two Family Dwelling Code (to be known as the
International Residential Code--IRC) I hope these same engineers will provide us
with their wisdom and experience so we can get the provisions to a point where
all can live with them.

Thanks for listening to my $.02.  I hope, in the long run, that it helps us to
put this important issue into the perspective that is needed.  Sometimes a
homeowner, or an architect, needs to be protected from themselves.

Rick Ranous