RE: Wood hip roof diaphragm

Bill,

I don't think that the shear capacity of the hipped roof will vary much from
the capacity of the flat plywood diaphragm until you get to slopes steeper
than 6:12.  I believe there was a discussion on this subject several on this
server months ago.

Make sure that you provide appropriate shear transfer at hips and ridge
location (nailing to continuous blocking, girder truss etc.).  Also at  hips
and ridges you have an area of discontinuity so wind pressures can be more
than double as for the rest of the building. Depending where the building
is, it's height and so on, it may have a serious effect on the design of
framing and connections.

As to ridge vents, you can block and nail all around.

Regards,

Sasha Itsekson, PE