RE: Tall signs

50 mph is unlikely to meet any local code in theory, or reasonable wind storm
in practice, whether you are referring to sustained wind or gusts. As wind
pressure is proportional to the square of the wind speed and your minimum
design wind is unlikely to be less than 90 mph (I do not know where your
structure is located), your client should be left with either the choice of
having the structure removed or strengthened. All your factors of safety for
materials, design, etc. have been used up on your loads. You may find that
your structure is even insufficient for temporary construction loading, which
would allow for much smaller return periods on wind.

Regarding an earlier post, I would not wish to rely on failure of the canvas
to reduce your loads without an actual test. There may be sufficient drag even
from torn material to keep your loads beyond any safe level.

James Cohen, PE